Saturday 19 July 2008

Right Where You Want Me.


We are very much aware of the frailty of life, for some reasons that you know and others that you don't.

"But what did she mean, Daddy? Obviously, I understand the first reference, but the second? What is wrong? What are you not telling me?"

"I told her she shouldn't put that in there when she read it to me."

"But what is it? Are you OK?"

Sigh. "Yes, darling. I'm fine. Look, I really don't think I should tell you this."

"Oh God! WHAT?"

"She'll be awfully cross. You must promise I didn't tell you."

"OK, OK, I promise. Just tell me!"

"There were a couple of scares last year. She was awfully worried. She found a lump. And then she had another fear, too. But they were both fine. They were checked out - tests and everything. There was nothing in it."

So, I don't quiz her about it because I'll re-open the can of worms, prolong the argument. And besides, it came to nothing.

Yet if I don't ask, I don't care.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

No comments: